I am so excited to bring you an interview today with author Kelly Moore! Today is release day of “Piece by Piece” (Broken Pieces Book 3), so what better time to highlight this fantastic author?
1. The Broken Pieces series is absolutely amazing! What inspired you to write about Kyren, Brogan, and their stories?
- I come from a very broken family myself, some things in the story were not very far fetched from my reality growing up. I’ve always felt that it’s important for people to understand they have a choice of what type person they want to become regardless of their upbringing. This is why I wrote their story. People can be “broken”, but they don’t have to stay that way. They can become healthy, vibrant, loving, good spouses and parents characters. It wasn’t just Kyren being an alpha male, Brogan grew into a strong confident woman. Bringing Kyren and Brogan’s children into the series helped prove how they overcame all the odds against them and loved each other and became good parents despite their pasts. Besides that, I love a good love story with angst and strong characters.
2. “Piece by Piece” shifts from the parents to the children, well, grownup children. Was it challenging to change the point of view to Steel when writing this installment in the series?
- Yes, it was a bit challenging. The part that was difficult for me is that I had to remember that it was in the future. I’m not a futuristic author so I had to create subtle changes like the links in their ears rather than cell phones or the music that I had to refer to as old. But in creating the character of Steel, even though he was not nice at times, underneath he was a good man. It took Ady for him to realize that he was the same strong loving man he had always been, just a little broken.
3. I understand that you are also writing Gray and Syn’s stories. Do you think that will complete the Broken Pieces series?
- Yes, Pieces of Gray and Syn’s Broken Journey will complete the Broken Pieces Series. I’m very excited about both of their stories. Gray’s book is going to bring up the topic of PTSD and the readers will learn why she is so tough in the Piece by Piece. She is a badass that readers will fall in love with. Syn’s Broken Journey is still in my head not actually on paper yet. He will be my biggest challenge to write but I think he will be the character that everyone will fall in love with. He’s tough and cocky and seems unattainable by any one woman, so Journey will have to be an exceptional woman to gain his heart.
4. If your Broken Pieces series were made into movies, who would be your choice of actors/actresses for your main characters?
- For Kyren, Henry Cavill. He fits him to me. Tall, dark and sometimes brooding and sexy as sin. Brogan, Emma Stone would be a great choice for her
5. I’m so excited to read your new novel (not in the Broken Pieces series), “Next August.” Can you give the readers any hints or details about it?
- I can tell you that I’m so excited for Next August to be released. It was a nice change to focus on another book, not in the series. It is romance entwined with suspense. I had so much fun writing this book and the feedback I have gotten has been amazing. I have high hopes for this book to be on a best seller list. I’m hoping for an end of August or early September release. As soon as the cover is completed, I will start releasing teasers and ARC’s for anyone interested. Here is unedited blurb: August Rylan is a rich billionaire with more secrets than he can manage. He lost his mother tragically at eight years old in an automobile accident. His father was drinking and driving and angry at his son when he lost control of the wheel. His blame is aimed as his son and their relationship is permanently changed. When August becomes a man and figures out his father’s secrets, he tries to make things right but goes about it in all the wrong ways. He has one friend, other than Sam he is a loner. He thinks he has to be alone to not reveal his secrets. On a rock climbing expedition with Sam, he meets a southern beauty that not only takes his breath away but also his voice. Nashville steals his heart the moment he lays eyes on her. She is a cowboy boot wearing country girl that will challenge him in every way. Nashville is intrigued by the city slicker rich boy, but she wants a simple life. She’s not concerned about money. She falls for him hard and tries to fit into his world until his secrets unravel. She almost loses her life because of his choices.
6. You are a traveling ICU nurse, wife, mother, and grandmother. When in the world do you find the time to write?
- I have always written, whether it has been in journals or jotting down notes. For me it’s not a matter of time, it’s a necessity. I think it came about as a coping mechanism and transformed into something that I love to do. As a nurse, I typically work three days a week. On my days off my husband and I love to go hiking and that brings about so much inspiration for me. Sometimes we will be hiking and a story will play out in my head. I’m not a big tv fan, so I write when my husband is watching tv and sometimes in the middle of the night. When we are traveling, I will climb in the backseat of the truck with my lab, Cy and type away. If it is something that you love, you make time where ever you can.
7. What advice would you give to someone who dreams of becoming a romance writer, but isn’t sure where to start?
- Don’t start like me. I had no real idea what I was getting into. Social media is not something I grew up with and didn’t realize how important it is nowadays. I didn’t even know what twitter was until last year. I had no platform. I thought a publisher did all the media work. Some may, but the one I started with does not. After Broken Pieces, I decided to be an indie publisher for now in hopes of getting picked up by a large publishing company. Create a platform and a following first not last and come up with creative ways for advertising.
8. Have you read anything new lately that you recommend to readers?
- I just finished Bossman by Vi Keeland. I loved every minute of the book. It’s romantic and funny. I read Pennies by Pepper Winters. I have to admit, it is very dark, and she does warn the readers multiple times. This would not be my typical read, but she is an amazing author and she paints a picture like no other. I was drawn into the book and had to know how it ended. To me, this is what makes a good author. I didn’t really want to read it, but I had to because of her writing style.
Kelly thank you so much for being a part of my blog today! I know that you are quite the busy woman, so I appreciate your taking the time to let my readers know more about you.
Readers, if you have not yet had the privilege to read Kelly’s Broken Pieces Series, then you are truly missing out! Learn more about Kelly Moore and her books by visiting her web page.
See my review of Broken Pieces
See my review of Pieced Together
See my review of Piece by Piece